The Sneaky Silent Killer in Reading, PA: Carbon Monoxide

The Sneaky Silent Killer in Reading, PA: Carbon Monoxide

Most of our favorite horror movie villains make their presences known.  Suddenly the music changes and we know something startling is about to occur.  The deformed faces, creepy masks, short strides, razorblade gloves, evil laughter, and heavy breathing are dead giveaways.  If one of these fictional killers stepped into our Reading, PA home, we’d know it, and we’d be out of there so fast that the villain would pack up his weapons and call it a day.  But carbon monoxide is a killer that can creep into your home without much warning, and it can sometimes sicken people or even cause death before anyone knows that it’s even there.  In the United States alone, carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for approximately 500 deaths each year, as well as thousands of emergency room visits.  This October, as many Reading, PA residents turn on their heating units, The Plumbing Works wants to share some tips for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as some of the warning signs that an unsafe level of CO gas is present.

Tips for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in your Reading home:

  • Install a carbon monoxide detector.
  • Choose appliances that vent their fumes outdoors.
  • Never use charcoal grills indoors.
  • Never sleep in a room with a running space heater.
  • Never  heat your home with a gas oven.
  • Have all your fuel-burning appliances inspected by a heating expert.

Warning!  Warning! There may be unsafe CO levels in your Reading home if…

  • There is an unusual buildup of moisture on your windows or walls.
  • You have rusted or corroded appliance vent pipes.
  • The air seems stuffy or stale.
  • A burner on a gas appliance has a yellow or orange flame.
  • Soot  has built up around appliance vents.
  • You or a family member is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Some symptoms include:  nausea and vomiting, dizziness, heart  palpitations, exhaustion, chest pain, and shortness of breath.

With cold winter weather approaching, Reading residents will all be shutting the windows and turning on their HVAC systems.  At The Plumbing Works, we want to do our part to ensure that none of our customers become part of the ugly CO poisoning statistics.  Our professional heating contractors can inspect your furnaces, gas dryers, gas water heaters, space heaters, gas ovens, fireplaces, and woodstoves to make sure they are safe for the chilly months ahead.  Our heating technicians can also do heating repairs if one of your fuel-burning appliances has become unsafe.  Share the tips for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning and know the warning signs; you could save a life!  If you suspect that you or a family member is experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning, vacate the residence and seek medical attention immediately.

For testimonials, money saving tips and coupons, visit us on the web, or call one of our friendly representatives today. At The Plumbing Works we are all about service.